Monday, August 07, 2006

Change

Change

Change defines a person. It is a journey of introspecting in the depths of spirituality; recognizing weaknesses; removing the fear of rejection; taking off the mask that hides the scars left by the past. If a person sees his true self from within and utilizes them to change then we can see an authentic self, which is a definition of a person.

It was Search-In, a psycho-spiritual weekend retreat offered to third year high school students, that helped me change and define myself as a person. This was no ordinary retreat because there was a time during the retreat it became mystical, mixed with love and suffering that I just cannot explain. I realized my weaknesses and strengths through this process, analyzed them so I can improve on and strengthen myself. This was a significant process in my life because it opened my eyes to a more intensified experience and deeper appreciation of the Christian faith. It served as the point of no return, I have experienced it and I must live it to the fullest. Thus I decided to change for the better knowing it is a process that will take a long time. In the ups and downs of it I will grow and transform myself.

Search-In became the catalyst of my young adulthood. With the life-changing experience in Search-In, it ushered new things in my life. I became more mature in handling situations and right decision making. I gained better leadership skills and more self-confidence without a hint of cockiness. I became more active in joining extra-curricular activities in school and became an instrument in spreading humility; in fact, I am one of the school coordinators of Lasallian Youth Commission, an organization catering for the welfare of the children and empowerment of the youth in the Philippines. It strengthened my soul by becoming more honest and optimistic in life. Never did it cross in my mind to give up on life after the retreat. I became more honest, open, and appreciative in my relationship with my family, friends, and classmates. It was like doing anything by keeping my feet on the ground, knowing I am not perfect and acknowledging all the mistakes, defects, and weaknesses that I once denied.

Accepting who you are and desiring to change, I always thank God for the opportunity to change myself at this early stage of my adulthood. All that I have gained can help me achieve my goals and aspirations in life. There is this classic one-liner in Search-In that truly captures the root of changing oneself: “God is the center of my life.”

No comments: